There is a difference between Safety Film and Security Film. Safety Film is described with a thickness of 6 mil. or less and film with a thickness of 7 mil. or higher is Security Film.
In comparison to regular films, Safety and Security films are uniquely constructed. Special solvents and adhesives are used to strengthen the bond between polyester layers allowing the film to adhere to glass more effectively. Thicker Security films offer greater glass hazard mitigation when faced with major glass hazard threats such as explosions and hurricanes. Safety films are used when the glass hazard threat is less severe like in the case of an accident at home or a forced entry.
Benefits of Safety Films:
- Specifically designed for protection against accidental breakage, or smaller impact situations.
- Holds glass in place on impact, preventing dangerous flying glass shards.
- Safety films are perfect for residential windows.
- Available in clear as well as solar control shades to block heat, UV rays and glare.
Benefits of Security Films:
- Security films offer superior glass hazard mitigation, and are best utilized for windows subject to severe glass threats such as bomb blasts, earthquakes and hurricanes.
- Thicker design helps hold glass together at higher impact situations.
- Suited for government buildings plus communities in high-risk hurricane (e.g. Florida) and earthquake (e.g. California) areas.
Types of Safety and Security Films:
Clear Safety and Security Films:
These physically strong films are manufactured to strict performance standards. They provide a virtually invisible shield to help protect against burglary, vandalism, accidental damage and more. For the highest levels of protection, ask us about attachment systems.
Solar Safety and Security Films:
These multi-tasking films combine robust solar control with safety and security features, alleviating the need to make any sacrifices when it comes to upgrading glass performance.
Exterior Safety Films:
Specifically designed for challenging retrofit applications, these films have enhanced durability to match outdoor weather conditions and installation on the exterior side of glass.
These clear films are resistant to spray paint and chemicals, the adhesives are formulated for easy removal and replacement once damage has occurred.